Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Biggest crocodile yet

Well folks, I think this will definitely be my last story on crocodiles, but then I thought the last one was too. On my way to work every day I pass a craft market. This is an area where Gambians make and sell things for the tourist trade. Someday I will take some pictures of the men at work.  It is predominantly men that are producing the items.  I see some things in shops run by women but I do not see them actually making the things.  I will snap more pictures some day because their process is pretty interesting, but I had to stop and take this picture for this blog.  I had seen no evidence of this creature being carved, when suddenly one day there he was, in full glory, the biggest crocodile I have seen in The Gambia. I resisted the urge to sit and pet him but I did think he was pretty amazing. They do not use any power equipment for their carving -- hand tools only. If you could see the tools they work with to do carving, you would be very impressed.  I guess you can look forward to it as an upcoming feature.



No comments:

Post a Comment