Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My worst nightmare

Well maybe it is not my worst nightmare, but it is still pretty scary.  I have never been a big fan of ironing and try to avoid all fabrics that wrinkle.  I actually do some ironing in The Gambia so I don't walk around looking like I slept in my clothes.  But I do use an electric steam iron for my ironing. The Gambian women and men all look very well pressed and generally look much better than the average Peace Corps volunteer. However in most cases the iron they use looks like the one below.


I took the picture of the iron my landlord's family uses.  They were waiting for the charcoal to get to the right temperature to iron.  Now I know that my grandmother may have used such a thing in her day (I am old, remember) but am very thankful that I don't have to push an iron filled with charcoal over my clothing.

1 comment:

  1. Won't be long before you're back State-side plugging in all your stuff... walking 30 yards to a dry cleaner. Looking forward to seeing you and hearing your stories in person! :)

    ReplyDelete