Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Art of Attaya

Preparing and drinking attaya is a Gambian tradition.  Attaya is more than a beverage, it is a ritual, usually performed by the men, but women can brew a mean glass of attaya too.  Brewing attaya involves  Chinese Gunpowder green tea that is sold in small boxes, lots of sugar and often fresh mint or small mint candies.  Attaya brewing usually is done in the afternoon and evening except during Ramadan when it is only done after the fast has been broken, usually after the 9 pm prayer.  I was going to detail the steps but then I discovered that You Tube has a couple of attaya videos so seeing the real thing will probably be better than my description:  


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iBFUfEs4KE&feature=related

Here is a picture of my training village brother getting some good foam on his attaya:




Here is a closeup of the attaya pot in action.  In the video on You Tube the charcoal burner is round but the ones I have seen have all been square like the one below:


I have drunk my share of attaya, but I am not its biggest fan.  Some of the PCVs have purchased their own sets.  As with many of the drinks in The Gambia I think there is too much sugar but maybe in two years I will think differently.


1 comment:

  1. So, is getting "good foam" a desired outcome when pouring attaya? Do the people indulge in alcohol in some form or do they follow the religious bans on alcohol? Is it a "special occasion" ritual or one that is repeated daily? Fascinating!
    Sister Sue

    ReplyDelete