Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Naming Ceremony

This post is way out of order but I was looking at the pictures and knew that I had to do a post.  We had been in our training village for about a week when we had our naming ceremony.  This was done at the home of the village Alkalo, the founder of the village and also the head of the village.  He meets with the VDC (Village Development Committee) and they make decisions about the village.  His position is hereditary and is of course passed down to the men relatives.  The Alkalo is also the judge in village disputes.  If the parties cannot agree it can go to a civil court in another city but that does not usually happen.  The Alkalo also speaks at any occasion such as the party at the Nursery school about which I previously posted.  At that time I said it was the mayor, but the real term turned out to be Alkalo.  If the Alkalo is not doing his duty properly the village can petition the federal government to step in and name a new Alkalo, but this is rare.

The naming ceremony usually occurs when on the 8th day of a baby's life.  The imam will whisper the baby's name in his ear and say a prayer.  He will also shave the baby's head.  For our naming ceremony they mimed shaving our heads and announced our name to the group rather than whispering it in our ear.   Here is a picture of me having my head shaved.

 I was wearing African clothing provided by my host mother.  She wanted me to be first place so she dressed me in fancy clothing, did my hair and applied makeup.  There was no such thing as "first place"  but I was definitely the fanciest one there.  

Once we had been named we presented Kola nuts to the dignitaries and then we passed out two different flavors of a koolaid type product, contained in plastic bags, to everyone who came to the party. The Gambians are very into sugar.  Anything they drink other than water is extremely sweetened.  My go to gift for my family was always sugar.  Once the gifts and drinks were passed out the dancing began.  The music was drumming on wash tubs and singing through a megaphone by griots.  The griots are the story tellers and singers of the people.  This is a traditional family role that goes far back in time and is passed down from generation to generation.  


In the picture below, a mother is dancing while her baby is fast asleep on her back.  It is a good demonstration of how they carry their baby around during the day.  They grab a large cloth, bend over, put the baby on their back and then wrap the top and then wrap the bottom.  It reminds of the expensive wrappy things I have seen in the states.  Women will work in the fields with their babies on their backs.  But sisters, including very young ones will also carry babies around in this manner.  I swear I have seen some girls that look no older than 5 with a baby on their back.  


Of course it is not only the adults who like to dance.  The children have been know to learn early.  My Senagali sister Mama is an amazing dancer at age 9.


I will try and post a video later.  Internet is too slow now.



No comments:

Post a Comment